Tax on Forex Trading- Things to Keep in Mind

Forex Trading is one of the fastest ways to make money, and it doesn’t require too many resources for you to get started. However, while forex trading promises a lot in making money, one thing you should know is that there is no certainty, and you can also rack up losses in the blink of an eye. Also, you can take advantage of the forex bonus offers by researching more on this website and staying up-to-date with promotions from leading forex brokers. It is essential to learn the best strategies and models that determine when to trade and when you shouldn’t.

While profits or losses are not assured for every trade, what traders can be sure of is the issue of forex taxing. Like other businesses, forex is a legal business subjected to taxes. Therefore, as a person choosing trading as a career, knowing exactly how the tax system works will help you avoid fallout with the law. This article will analyze how forex tax works to help you figure out the type of tax option to stick with.

Different Types of Forex Tax And Vital Factors to Keep in Mind

Foreign exchange traders are taxed with varying systems, as their specific trade options determine their tax method. Here are the different types of traders, and the category you fall into should give you an idea of the type of tax option to go for.

- Forex Options & Future Traders: If you trade on forex options or future contracts, the type of tax you attract is the 1256 contracts tax, also known as the IRC Section 1256 Contract. This type of contract is subjected to the 60/40 system. This particular tax option is better for traders who make lots of profits during exchanges and have a high-income bracket. A trader under this tax option will have all the proceedings made from selling stocks within a year calculated under short-term capital. Short-term taxes are charged at 37%, and long-term tax is charged at 20%

 - Spot Investors: The other side of forex trading is the over-the-counter investors that are just into the current market and not necessarily interested in future trading. Spot traders fall under this category, classified under the IRC section 988 taxing system/contracts. Their type of trading and foreign transactions are usually completed within two days, making them taxable on expected losses and gains.


Most individuals who trade Forex are usually considered spot traders, and they fall under the 988 tax system. This taxing system can be very beneficial compared to the 1256 option when you score losses. If by the end of the year, you record losses all through, you will not have to pay any tax. This is, however, not possible with the 1256 trade option.


Choosing Your Tax Method: The good thing about forex taxing is that you have the option to select your taxing system. You can decide to go for the 1256 tax method or the 988 alternatives. However, you should know that whichever one you go for cannot be changed in the future. This is why it is imperative to consider every factor before choosing. Are you looking to stay long-term and take it as a career path, or do you only want to trade for a short while? Your answer will aid the type of tax option to go for. The 988 tax system is excellent for short-term and spot trading, while the 1256 tax system is suitable for future contracts and long-term investors.


It would be best to always consider the tax implications of forex trading before going ahead to start. Forex option and future contracts are categorized as 1256 contracts, subjecting them to the 60/40 taxation rule. 60% of losses and gains are charged as long-term capital gains, while the remaining 40% are short-term gains.


Spot Forex traders are known as 988 traders, which makes it possible for them to deduct their losses from getting taxed at the end of the calendar year. On the other hand, traders that operate with the alternative can choose their tax system. They can choose to be taxed under the 1256 contracts or the 988 commodities. You should always make sure to fill in your taxes as long as you trade. Tax avoidance is not an option as you may risk jail terms according to law, and you will eventually pay more than you should have.


Forex taxes are essential parts of the business, and there are two significant types of taxing methods that traders can choose from. Both of these methods have their advantages and disadvantages. It is essential for anyone willing to go into the craft to do in-depth research on both available options before choosing one.

Also, like every other type of entrepreneurship registered company, individuals must ensure that they file their taxes to avoid having issues with the law. Failure to do this may attract severe consequences.

Investing   Personal Finance   Broker   Legal